PDF certificates for births and deaths from 1837 – important dates and differences
The General Register Office Website (GRO) provide birth, marriage and death certificates for England and Wales.
- You can search for births and deaths from 1837 on the GRO website
- See tables below for dates and type of certificate available
- For births, the mother’s maiden name will be shown. Previously this was only for births after 1911
- For deaths age at death or year of birth
- These are new indexes so may reveal those events missing from other databases because of transcription errors
- It’s free to search
Register on the site for first use. Searches are free – check their website for the cost of certificates.
Follow the register link on the right hand side and activate your registration by confirming your email address
Birth, marriage and death certificates will be available to order once your account is activated. All birth, marriage and death certificates are available as certificates by post. Some birth and death certificates are also available electronically in the portable document format (pdf).