TERMS of Sale
These Terms of Service, together with any and all other documents referred to herein, set out the terms under which Services are sold and provided by Us through this website, https://www.rootsandgenes.com (“Our Site”). Please read these Terms of Sale carefully and ensure that you understand them before ordering any Services from Our Site. You will be required to read and accept these Terms of Sale when ordering Services. If you do not agree to comply with and be bound by these Terms of Sale, you will not be able to order Services through Our Site. These Terms of Sale, as well as any and all Contracts are in the English language only.
- Definitions and Interpretation
- In these Terms of Sale, unless the context otherwise requires, the following expressions have the following meanings:
|“Contract”||means a contract for the purchase and sale of Services, as explained in Clause 8;|
|“Order”||means your order for the Services;|
|“Order Confirmation”||means our acceptance and confirmation of your Order;|
|“Services”||means the services which are to be provided by Us to you as specified in your Order (and confirmed in Our Order Confirmation); and|
|“We/Us/Our”||means Michael Turner trading as Roots & Genes|
|“Subscription”||means the mode of payment for Our Services|
- Information About Us
- Our Site, https://www.rootsandgenes.com, is owned and operated by Michael Turner trading as Roots and Genes.
- We are a member of The Society of Genealogists (SoG), The Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) and the Guild of One Name Studies (GONS).]
- Access to and Use of Our Site
- Access to Our Site is free of charge.
- It is your responsibility to make any and all arrangements necessary in order to access Our Site.
- Access to Our Site is provided “as is” and on an “as available” basis. We may alter, suspend or discontinue Our Site (or any part of it) at any time and without notice. We will not be liable to you in any way if Our Site (or any part of it) is unavailable at any time and for any period.
- Age Restrictions
- Consumers may only purchase Services through Our Site if they are at least 18 years of age.
- Business Customers
These Terms of Sale do not apply to customers purchasing Services in the course of business.
- Services, Pricing and Availability
- We make all reasonable efforts to ensure that all general descriptions of the Services available from Us correspond to the actual Services that will be provided to you, however please note that the exact nature of the Services may vary depending upon your individual requirements and circumstances.
- Please note that sub-Clause 7.1 does not exclude Our responsibility for mistakes due to negligence on Our part and refers only to variations of the correct Services, not to different Services altogether.
- Where appropriate, you may be required to select the required type of Service or Services.
- We neither represent nor warrant that all Services will be available at all times and cannot necessarily confirm availability until confirming your Order. Availability indications are not provided on Our Site.
- We make all reasonable efforts to ensure that all prices shown on Our Site are correct at the time of going online. We reserve the right to change prices and to add, alter, or remove special offers from time to time and as necessary. Changes in price will not affect any Order that you have already placed (please note sub-Clause 7.8 regarding VAT, however).
All prices are checked by Us when We process your Order. In the unlikely event that We have shown incorrect pricing information, We will contact you in writing before proceeding with your Order to inform you of the mistake and to ask you how you wish to proceed. We will give you the option to purchase the Services at the correct price or to cancel your Order (or the affected part thereof). We will not proceed with processing your Order until you respond. If We do not receive a response from you within 7 days, We will treat your Order as cancelled and notify you of the same in writing.
- In the event that the price of Services you have ordered changes between your Order being placed and Us processing that Order and taking payment, you will be charged the price shown on Our Site at the time of placing your Order.
- All prices on Our Site include VAT. If the VAT rate changes between your order being placed and Us taking payment, the amount of VAT payable will be automatically adjusted when taking payment.
- Orders – How Contracts Are Formed
- Our Site will guide you through the ordering process. Before submitting your Order to Us you will be given the opportunity to review your Order and amend any errors. Please ensure that you have checked your Order carefully before submitting it.
- No part of Our Site constitutes a contractual offer capable of acceptance. Your Order constitutes a contractual offer that We may, at Our sole discretion, accept. Our acknowledgement of receipt of your Order does not mean that We have accepted it. Our acceptance is indicated by Us sending you an Order Confirmation by email. Only once We have sent you an Order Confirmation will there be a legally binding contract between Us and you (“the Contract”).
- Order Confirmations shall contain the following information:
- Confirmation of the Services ordered including full details of the main characteristics of those Services;
- Fully itemised pricing for the Services ordered including, where appropriate, taxes and other additional charges;
- If We, for any reason, do not accept or cannot fulfil your Order, no payment shall be taken under normal circumstances. If We have taken payment any such sums will be refunded to you as soon as possible and in any event within 7 days.
- You may change your Order at any time before We begin providing the Services by contacting Us. If you change your Order, We will confirm all agreed changes in writing.
- If you change your mind, you may cancel your Order or the Contract before or after We begin providing the Services subject to these Terms of Sale. For details of your cancellation rights, please refer to Clauses 11 and 12.
- We may cancel your Order at any time before We begin providing the Services in the following circumstances:
- The required personnel and/or required materials necessary for the provision of the Services are not available.
- If We cancel your Order under sub-Clause 8.9 and We have taken payment any such sums will be refunded to you as soon as possible and in any event within 7 days. If We cancel your Order, you will be informed by email.
- Any refunds due under this Clause 8 will be made using the same payment method that you used when ordering the Services unless you specifically request that We make a refund using a different method.
- Payment for the Services will be by monthly Subscription at the rate agreed at the time of your order for our Services. Price and payment details will be confirmed in the Order Confirmation. Your chosen payment method will be charged as indicated.
- We accept the following methods of payment on Our Site:
- Credit or debit card;
We do not charge any additional fees for any of the payment methods listed in sub-Clause 9.2
- Provision of the Services
- As required by law, We will provide the Services with reasonable skill and care, consistent with best practices and standards in the Genealogical Research sector, and in accordance with any information provided by Us about the Services and about Us. We will begin providing the Services on the date agreed when you make your Order (which We shall confirm in the Order Confirmation). Please refer to Clauses 11 and 12 for more details on your cancellation rights. We will use all reasonable endeavours to provide the Services with reasonable skill and care, commensurate with best trade practice.
- We will continue providing the Services during the period of your Subscription for our Services.
- We will make every reasonable effort to provide the Services in a timely manner. We cannot, however, be held responsible for any delays if an event outside of Our control occurs. Please refer to Clause 16 for events outside of Our control.
- If We require any information or action from you in order to provide the Services, We will inform you of this as soon as is reasonably possible. We will require additional information from you in order to begin the Services and will inform you of the information we require.
- If the information you provide or the action you take under sub-Clause 10.4 is delayed, incomplete or otherwise incorrect, We will not be responsible for any delay caused as a result. If additional work is required from Us to correct or compensate for a mistake made as a result of delayed, incomplete or otherwise incorrect information or action that you have provided or taken,
- In certain circumstances, for example where We encounter a technical problem, We may need to suspend or otherwise interrupt the Services to resolve the issue. Unless the issue is an emergency that requires immediate action, We will inform you in advance by email before suspending or interrupting the Services.
- If the Services are suspended or interrupted under sub-Clauses 10.6, or 10.7 you will not be required to pay for them during the period of suspension. You must, however, pay any sums that may already be due by the appropriate due date(s).
- If you do not pay Us for the Services as required by Clause 9, We will terminate the provision of Services.
- Your Legal Right to Cancel
- You may cancel the Service at any time by informing us by email. The cancellation will be effective from the payment date following the date of cancellation. No further payments will be taken following your advice of cancellation.
- You can tell us you wish to cancel by sending us an email or using our “Contact Us” form which can be accessed here.
- We may ask you why you have chosen to cancel and may use any answers you provide to improve Our services in the future, however please note that you are under no obligation to provide any details if you do not wish to.
- Our Rights to Cancel
- For cancellations before we begin providing the Services, please refer to sub-Clause 8.9.
- We may cancel the Services after We have begun providing them due to an Event outside of Our control that continues for more than 30 days (as under sub-Clause 16.2.4), or due to the non-availability of required personnel and/or required materials necessary for the provision of the Services. In such cases, no payment will be due from you and if you have already made any payment to us, such sums will be refunded to you in proportion to the remining period for which the previous Subscription was made. No refund will exceed the amount of the Subscription for the month of cancellation.
- Once We have begun providing the Services, We may cancel the Contract at any time and will give you at least 30 calendar days written notice of such cancellation. You will only be required to pay for Services that you have received.
- Refunds due under this Clause 13 will be issued to you within 7 days and in any event no later than 14 calendar days after the day on which We inform you of the cancellation. Refunds will be made using the same payment method you used when ordering the Services unless you specifically request that We make a refund using a different method.
- We may cancel immediately by giving you written notice in the following circumstances:
- You fail to make a payment by the due date as set out in Clause 9.
- We are no longer able to provide a service to you because lines of research have been exhausted. We will advise you in writing of the reasons and will terminate your Subscription and no further payments will be accepted.
- You breach the contract in a material way and fail to remedy the breach within 30 days of Us asking you to do so in writing.
- Problems with the Services and Your Legal Rights
- We always use reasonable endeavours to ensure that Our Services are trouble-free. If, however, there is a problem with the Services please contact Us as soon as is reasonable possible via our “Contact Us” page.
- We will use reasonable endeavours to remedy problems with the Services as quickly as is reasonably possible and practical
- We will not charge you for remedying problems under this Clause 14 where the problems have been caused by Us, any of Our agents or sub-contractors, or where nobody is at fault. If We determine that a problem has been caused by you, including your provision of incorrect or incomplete information or taking of incorrect action, sub-Clause 10.5 will apply and We may charge you for the remedial work.
- As a consumer, you have certain legal rights with respect to the purchase of services. For full details of your legal rights and guidance on exercising them, it is recommended that you contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Office. If We do not perform the Services with reasonable skill and care, you have the right to request repeat performance or, if that is not possible or done within a reasonable time without inconvenience to you, you have the right to a reduction in price. If the Services are not performed in line with information that We have provided about them, you also have the right to request repeat performance or, if that is not possible or done within a reasonable time without inconvenience to you (or if Our breach concerns information about Us that does not relate to the performance of the Services), you have the right to a reduction in price. If for any reason We are required to repeat the Services in accordance with your legal rights, We will not charge you for the same and We will bear any and all costs of such repeat performance. In cases where a price reduction applies, this may be any sum up to the full Price and, where you have already made payment(s) to Us, may result in a full or partial refund. Any such refunds will be issued without undue delay (and in any event within 14 calendar days starting on the date on which We agree that you are entitled to the refund) and made via the same payment method originally used by you unless you request an alternative method. In addition to your legal rights relating directly to the Services, you also have remedies if We use materials that are faulty or incorrectly described.
- Our Liability
- We will be responsible for any foreseeable loss or damage that you may suffer as a result of Our breach of these Terms of Sale or as a result of Our negligence. Loss or damage is foreseeable if it is an obvious consequence of Our breach or negligence or if it is contemplated by you and Us when the Contract is created. We will not be responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable.
- We provide Services for domestic and private use or purposes. We make no warranty or representation that the Services are fit for commercial, business or industrial purposes of any kind. We will not be liable to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, interruption to business or for any loss of business opportunity.
- Nothing in these Terms of Sale seeks to exclude or limit Our liability for death or personal injury caused by Our negligence (including that of Our employees, agents or sub-contractors); or for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Nothing in these Terms of Sale seeks to exclude or limit Our liability for failing to perform the Services with reasonable care and skill or in accordance with information provided by Us about the Services or about Us.
- Nothing in these Terms of Sale seeks to exclude or limit your legal rights as a consumer. For more details of your legal rights, please refer to Your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Office.
- Events Outside of Our Control (Force Majeure)
- We will not be liable for any failure or delay in performing Our obligations where that failure or delay results from any cause that is beyond Our reasonable control. Such causes include, but are not limited to: power failure, internet service provider failure, industrial action by third parties, civil unrest, fire, explosion, flood, storms, earthquakes, subsidence, acts of terrorism, acts of war, governmental action, epidemic or other natural disaster, or any other event that is beyond Our reasonable control
- If any event described under this Clause 16 occurs that is likely to adversely affect Our performance of any of Our obligations under these Terms of Sale:
- We will inform you as soon as is reasonably possible;
- Our obligations under these Terms of Sale (and therefore the Contract) will be suspended and any time limits that We are bound by will be extended accordingly;
- We will inform you when the event outside of Our control is over and provide details of any new dates, times or availability of Services as necessary;
- If the event outside of Our control continues for more than 30 days, We may cancel the Contract and inform you of the cancellation. Any refunds due to you as a result of that cancellation will be paid to you as soon as is reasonably possible and, in any event, no later than 14 calendar days after the date on which We inform you of the cancellation;
- If an event outside of Our control occurs and continues and you wish to cancel the Contract as a result, you may do so by contacting Us directly. Please use the following details:
Email: email@example.com;The “Contact Us” form on our site which may be accessed.
In each case, providing Us with your name, email address and telephone number. Any refunds due to you as a result of such cancellation will be paid to you as soon as is reasonably possible and, in any event, no later than 14 calendar days after the date on which you inform Us that you wish to cancel.
- Communication and Contact Details
- If you wish to contact Us with any reason, you may contact Us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the “Contact Us” form on Our website.
- Complaints and Feedback
- We always welcome feedback from Our customers and, whilst We always use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that your experience as a customer of Ours is a positive one, We nevertheless want to hear from you if you have any cause for complaint.
- If you wish to complain about any aspect of your dealings with Us, please contact Us in one of the following ways:
- By email, addressed to at email@example.com;
- By using our “Contact Us” form on Our website.
- How We Use Your Personal Information (Data Protection)
- All personal information that We may use will be collected, processed, and held in accordance with the provisions of EU Regulation 2016/679 General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and your rights under the GDPR.
- Other Important Terms
- We may transfer (assign) Our obligations and rights under these Terms of Sale (and under the Contract, as applicable) to a third party (this may happen, for example, if We sell Our business). If this occurs, you will be informed by Us in writing. Your rights under these Terms of Sale will not be affected and Our obligations under these Terms of Sale will be transferred to the third party who will remain bound by them.
- You may not transfer (assign) your obligations and rights under these Terms of Sale (and under the Contract, as applicable) without Our express written permission.
- The Contract is between you and Us. It is not intended to benefit any other person or third party in any way and no such person or party will be entitled to enforce any provision of these Terms of Sale.
- If any of the provisions of these Terms of Sale are found to be unlawful, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by any court or other authority, that / those provision(s) shall be deemed severed from the remainder of these Terms of Sale. The remainder of these Terms of Sale shall be valid and enforceable.
- No failure or delay by Us in exercising any of Our rights under these Terms of Sale means that We have waived that right, and no waiver by Us of a breach of any provision of these Terms of Sale means that We will waive any subsequent breach of the same or any other provision.
- We may revise these Terms of Sale from time to time in response to changes in relevant laws and other regulatory requirements. If We change these Terms of Sale at any time, We will give you at least 30 days written notice of the changes before they come into effect. If you wish to cancel the Contract as a result, please refer to sub-Clause 12.4.
- Law and Jurisdiction
- These Terms and Conditions, and the relationship between you and Us (whether contractual or otherwise) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England & Wales, Northern Ireland and
- If you are a consumer, you will benefit from any mandatory provisions of the law in your country of residence. Nothing in Sub-Clause 21.1 above takes away or reduces your rights as a consumer to rely on those provisions.
- If you are a consumer, any dispute, controversy, proceedings or claim between you and Us relating to these Terms and Conditions, or the relationship between you and Us (whether contractual or otherwise) shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England, Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland, as determined by your residency.